Maps

, In , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This is a *theoretically* comprehensive list of towns/villages/points along the Salkantay Trek:

Town List 1

The list above has been combined from various tour itinerary descriptions and maps available online. The travel times are consistent with our experience; however do keep in mind - everyone walks at a different pace.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The one single thing I wish I had during our travels is a GPS, so I will have to resort to records of others for a true visual of the Salkantay Trek to accompany our blog.

Thanks to "jwheidmeijer" of gpsies.com for his record of the Salkantay Trek:



----------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to other sources this map for $25 includes the full Salkantay Trail GPS trek:
http://gpstravelmaps.com/sacredvalley.php

Some best free maps I found online:

One of the few (if not the only) accurate and mostly comprehensive treks laid out on a scaled, almost topo map. (Follow the left most trek - this is the "Alternative Salkantay"; Inka Trail is on the right):


A minimal representation of the trek on an accurate scaled map:


This map is one of the first results in Google and is pretty good, however note that you should NOT rely on the scale to judge distances, ie: Lucmabamba is actually only ~30 min walk from La Playa while the distance on the map is huge:


 This is a typical map you will find at tour agencies, mostly useless other than examining distances between indicated overnight camping locations:

9 comments:

ar_gaeta said...

Hi,
I'm preparing my trip to Perù for this Avril (2011).
I don't know if you can help me, or someoneelse, but, in your opinion, which is the best trek to do between:
- the Salcantay Trek, as you fine describe (5 days)
- the classic Inca Trail (4 days)
I know that for the Inca Trail I'll be bound to go with an agency, but apart that, I mean which of the 2 trail is really the BEST to visit and know the history and the beauty of this part of Perù?

Thanks very much,
Riccardo

February 15, 2011 at 5:30 AM
Inka Trail Expeditions Peru said...

I read your post i never stop myself to say something about it.
This post is very interesting.
Really everything is effective and helpful in blog.
Thanks for sharing your generosity with us.
inca trail tours

September 19, 2016 at 11:37 PM
ITEP Travel said...

Salkantay trek is one of the best alternative routes to Machu Picchu, and it is because of it passes through the Andes and you enjoy the open fields where culture still remains.

October 5, 2016 at 8:11 AM
Inka Challenge Peru said...

This is awesome! I love Peru, and I can’t wait to check out some of these cool spots when I go back in Next. machu picchu tours, salkantay trek, inca trail, lares trek, Cusco day Tours, Andean Village Homestay. Call Now at : +5184232514 or info@inkachallengeperu.com

March 10, 2017 at 1:36 AM
vicunaadventuresperu said...

This is one of the nice blog! I have read this. Thanks for posting this informative blog.
Moon stone Trek to Machu Picchu

February 22, 2018 at 1:56 AM
Humaun Kabir said...

Thank you for this valuable information, I hope it is okay that I bookmarked your website for further references.

Buy Flat Earth Map

May 24, 2018 at 6:28 AM
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
August 17, 2018 at 11:10 AM
Unknown said...

cuzco machupicchu beautiful inkas places cultural tours we invate you extend your vacation to tje cordillera blanca cordillera huayhuas áreas for trekking walking climbing.
tierrasvivas.com!

August 17, 2018 at 11:15 AM
Intuitive medium christine said...

Hi Very Nice Blog I Have Read Your Post It Is Very Informative And Useful Thanks For Posting And Sharing With Us.

salkantay trek peru

December 27, 2022 at 10:53 AM

Post a Comment